Only One in Taiwan

June 2018 - Yehliu Geopark, Taiwan

What is it with solo traveling that makes people uncomfortable? The idea of it repulses most people, let alone doing it on special occasions of their lives (i.e. Birthdays, Christmas, New Year's, etc.) 

Back in 2015, I greeted Christmas Day up on a hot air balloon in Myanmar. I wasn't technically traveling solo, I was with Burmese friends (but they don't really celebrate Christmas and I did the hot air balloon without them) so I'd like to think I was still alone celebrating Christmas.


Sunrise at Bagan on Christmas Day 2015

After that, I went to Chiang Mai to celebrate New Year's. I have met a few fellow travellers who accompanied me on that evening.



Lantern release for the New Year's 2016 at Chiang Mai 

Still on my list was to travel solo on my birthday. I really didn't make a big deal out of it. It's been several years since I traveled solo (
Chiang Mai, 2015) and for me, it will be just another adventure that happens to fall on my birthday.



As June was fast approaching, I really didn't have any particular destination in mind. I just want to travel solo for a week where my birthday falls. I chose Taiwan for I have never been there before and they have granted Philippine passport holders free visa entry for 14 days. 



Taiwan isn't that complicated to travel solo. Having lived in Hong Kong and Singapore, the likeness of these big Asian cities are somewhat comparable to Taipei. It's safe, easy to get around to, Metro and transport system are really good and Uber works there so the chances of getting lost are very highly unlikely.


Ximen Station - one of busiest Metro stations in Taipei.


Since I had a week to explore it, I mostly did all the touristy things there is to do in Taipei. All of these are doable alone and it wouldn't hurt to sign up for some of the tours (like KKday and Klook) for merely the convenience of reaching those places outside of Taipei.



#1 - Taipei 101


#2 - Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall


#3 - The Martian looking landscape of Yehliu Geopark


#4 - Brief stop at Shifen Waterfalls

#5 - Lantern Release at Jiufen


#6 - Jiufen 
Instead of joining the crowd going around the shops, 
I opted to find a restaurant with a view to have a hot meal and tea instead. 


Even though I was traveling with a huge group in some of the tours, I still isolated myself from the group and retained my solo traveling status. I got to explore on my own, admire the sceneries by myself and have a little solitude away from all the noise of the crowd.


#7 - Yangmingshan National Park
The only day of my trip that the sun was out.

Yangmingshan is perhaps my favorite spot in Taiwan.
TIP: You can commute to get there from the city
but I suggest you sign up for a private shuttle service.
The public shuttle service around the park takes ages to come and the queue is
very long as well.


#8 - The Elephant Hiking Trail
Challenging but doable.


#9 - Taiwanese street food are indeed a must try! 




#10 - Making sure I visit their numerous Night Markets!

#11 - Perhaps not in everyone's list of touristy things to do but I like learning about the culture when I travel. Being a tea lover myself, I opt to sign up to a trip to one of Taipei's tea plantation and participate/learn the traditional Taiwanese tea ceremony.

I wasn't technically alone on my birthday though. I (unexpectedly) met a fellow solo Filipina traveler and some friends from Manila and kind of had a little celebration with them. It's one of the things I love most about traveling solo, you will definitely meet people whom you wouldn't really have thought of seeing in another city.




My improvised waffle birthday cake

Pre-Birthday celebration with Nikkole.


Birthday Dinner at the Modern Toilet Taipei


Birthday Ice cream




I have been meaning to do paragliding and was supposed to do it on my birthday but the weather just won't clear up! So on the morning of my birthday, I went to the Fisherman's Wharf instead. 



The Fisherman's Wharf

I decided not to sign up for any tours to get there. I got lost, walked for hours under the heat of the sun and when I finally got there - I still kept walking until I tire my feet out and found a quiet spot facing the waters.  It was a bit of an insipid scene, windy and gloomy, to have on a birthday. I found myself suddenly enveloped with silence, drinking in every piece of the unfamiliar sights that lay before me.


#22 on my list - to travel solo on my birthday

I was vacantly watching the monotonous scene before me and it made me think why some people opt not to travel solo. Our minds can be troubled by the silence and emptiness solo travelling can bring. I think people always just wants to connect with someone - whether be it giving a smile or a nod to a stranger, asking for directions, having a small talk, admiring the view together and exchanging thoughts, holding someone's hand or just the mere thought of having someone in close proximity. Everyone is looking for something from someone. But I also like to think that most people feel more alone when they are with someone.


Not too bad for a birthday view


But I see traveling alone as a great opportunity to just spend time with ourselves that we always miss to do when we are surrounded by a sea of people, when we are tied up with work and all the responsibilities this life entails us to do. And to do it on a special event in our lives makes it even more memorable.




I didn't have any cake or candles to blow on that day, I didn't have any presents to open or balloons or any festivities. I had an amazing view, an experience and that sense of achievement having crossed this off my list.



The sun taking a peek through the grey skies as I left Fisherman's Wharf.
I think this was my birthday gift from above.



0 comments: